Friday, February 25, 2011

Developments at UCSD

I have two quick things to talk about in terms of happenings at UCSD. First, on March 7, Dan Barker is debating Dinesh D'Souza on the question, "Is Religion the Problem?". Unfortunately, it's happening at exactly the same time as a club meeting of mine, and I probably won't be able to make it, but there's a fairly good chance it'll be filmed and uploaded to YouTube. I'll watch it and give my commentary if and when that happens. (My sister's Bible teacher also informed her of a creation-evolution debate supposedly happening at UCSD in April. I've searched online and can't find anything on it, so he may have been mistaken.)

Also! Rational Thought at UCSD put out an "Ask an Atheist" table on Library Walk today (ironically, with music from a worship concert blaring in the background). The booth was decorated with flyers asking good, provocative questions that I'm sure many theists wonder about (e.g. "What will you be thinking about on your deathbed?" and "Why be moral when no one is looking?"). I signed up for their e-mail list to get some information about upcoming events and such. I also asked one guy if he had any advice about "coming out" to my friends and family about my unbelief. He said he didn't have any experience with that, but he could probably put me in contact with someone who did. Overall, they seemed like a very intelligent, articulate and friendly bunch, and I wouldn't at all mind going to one of their meetings sometime.

Update: I got an invite to a "Coffee and Conversation" meeting on Monday at six. I'm generally very introverted when it comes to discussion groups, but I think I'll try it out. If anything comes of it, I'll write about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment